Awareness Workshop on ICT in teaching and learning at SCE
A workshop was planned for teaching staff at Samtse College of Edcuation during the field trip. It was decided to try out the CoED-tool to structure work in groups.
Objectives of the workshops were:
- To introduce to critical issues in relation to ICT in teaching practices
- To illustrate the importance of clarifying your core values in teaching as part of your learning design
- To create awareness about ways of re-thinking pedagogy
- To introduce and try a method for creating learning designs with ICT
- To take first steps in what we hope can be a longer collaboration
A set of handouts was produced to support the groupwork. The handouts contained number of with ‘critical questions’ and memory points from the initial presentation, and helped the participants focus on the same issues throughout the group work.
The concept of learning design is very novel in the Bhutanese context where the educational sector has a very strong tradition of ‘curriculum design’ and - when media or ICT is involved - ‘instructional design’. In both traditions, the teacher is not involved in the proces of developing the form and content of the teaching. This is done by socalled experts on either the domain or on pedagogical issues, and the teacher then gets the role of delivering the message.
The workshop was aimed at creating awareness on the possibilities for lecturers when engaging in the proces of learning design.